Top of the Line Marine Network System with G Motion Technology.
A large 8.4” display, G Motion technology, and network connectivity are just a few of the GPSMAP 6208’s advanced features. Right away you will be impressed with the big screen with a XGA, 640 x 480 resolution, that is not only sunlight readable but also great in low light situations automatically dimming down to 0.5 nits. Included with every GPSMAP 6208 is a GPS 19x NMEA 2000 WAAS antenna that is ultra-sensitive, accurately showing your position on the installed marine charts for the entire coastal US, including Alaska, Hawaii and the Bahamas. Like all of the other Garmin Marine Network Systems you can add optional Garmin Radar, Fishfinder, Satellite Weather, and other Garmin MFD’s sharing all the data throughout the network.
G Motion Technology
The GPSMAP 6208 offers ultra fast panning and zooming of the chart with the help of Garmin’s new G Motion technology. The embedded chart detail can also be enhanced with the purchase of the Garmin G2 Vision chart. Garmin G2 Vision will give you the following:
- High-resolution satellite imagery when overlaid on the chart, will provide the mariner with unparalleled situational awareness
- Aerial reference photography provides “real world” photos of ports, harbors, marinas, waterways, navigation landmarks and other points of interest, offering the mariner another powerful tool for navigating unfamiliar waters
- Mariner’s Eye view – Provides the mariner with a 3-D perspective of chart information for a quick, reliable and easy position fix
- Fish Eye view – 3D perspective below the water line for displaying bottom contours based on bathymetric charting data
- Auto guidance technology will search the attributes of all relevant charts to suggest the best course for navigation
- Fishing(bathymetric) charts, tides, currents, marine services, coastal roads and points of interest detail
Whether you are viewing the preloaded chart or a highly detailed G2 Vision chart, the GPSMAP 6208 will let you zero in without delay.
Garmin Marine Network and NMEA 2000 Compatible
The Garmin GPSMAP 6208 is a part of the Garmin Marine Network, so out of the box it is a standalone chartplotter but it can me transformed in to an entire navigation suite. You can add any of the Garmin GMR dome or open array radar antennas for a full functioning marine radar. Garmin now has 3 sounders available to choose from based on your performance needs. The GSD 22, ideal for cruisers, provides options of 600W, 1kw or 2kw of transmit power (depending on transducer selected) and provides target readouts up to 5000ft. The GSD 24 offers the same transmit power and 5000ft readouts as the GSD22, but with advanced technology the picture received is much crisper and clearer with enhanced separation of images. The GSD 26 with Spread Spectrum technology scans on multiple frequencies at once, providing target separation in deep waters as if you were in shallow waters and is perfect for serious or commercial fisherman offering transmit power ranging from 300W to 3kw and readouts up to 10,000 feet. With the addition of a GXM 52 antenna and subscription through XM you can get real time satellite weather and XM audio for your boat. You can share these options with any Garmin multi-function display (MFD) connected to the network, the GPSMAP 4000, 5000, 6000 and 7000 series are all compatible. If you have dual stations you can add an MFD at each station and have control of all the network devices from either location. The GPSMAP 6208 is also NMEA 2000 compatible so it can share and collect information for any NMEA 2000 device or sensor.
Other Important Features
The Garmin 6212 has 4 NMEA 0183 inputs and 2 NMEA 0183 outputs capable of sharing AIS and DSC data, one PC output and two composite video inputs. Alarms for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, clock, low battery voltage and GPS accuracy are also standard. The durable housing is waterproof to IPX7 standards.